3rd Joint Call - now open until 1 February 2016
ERA-IB-2 is pleased to announce the seventh transnational joint call for multilateral research projects using Industrial Biotechnology. This call will be organized in collaboration with ERASynBio and ERA-MBT.
The main purpose of this call is to generate joint European research and development activities and to stimulate and unify researchers and academics who specialise in the area of Industrial Biotechnology to work closely together and share funding and research projects. Through the collaboration between these three ERA-nets more funding will be available and the geographical coverage is expanded.
With this joint call, ERA-IB-2, ERASynBio and ERA-MBT want to foster the integration of different steps of the whole value chain. The call covers the following: ‘Industrial biotechnology for Europe: an integrated approach’.
Funding is available for innovative, industry relevant Industrial Biotechnology projects on the following topics:
- Conversion of industrial by-products and biomass into value-added products;
- Novel systems for new or more sustainable processes using bio-catalysts such as enzymes, micro-organism and cell-free biosynthesis systems from natural or synthetic origins. This includes orthogonal biosystems, minimal genome approaches and protocells;
- Compounds by understanding and engineering metabolic pathways including synthetic biology approaches;
- Process development, intensification and/or integration in existing industrial processes e.g. upstream or downstream design, scale-up of biotechnological processes.
Proposals dealing with synthetic or biotechnological approaches in marine systems are eligible and explicitly invited, as are all other proposals in the field of synthetic and industrial biotechnology. However, since there will be a dedicated call for proposals from ERA-MBT about “Bioactive molecules from the marine environment – Biodiscovery” – this theme is not included in the scope of the ERA-IB call and such proposals should be submitted in the frame of the upcoming ERA-MBT call planned to be published in November 2015.
Projects should clearly address the product and market to be addressed, produced by biotechnological processes, e.g:
- Bio-based materials;
- Platform chemicals e.g. bio-monomers, oligomers and polymers;
- Pharmaceuticals, functional food/feed ingredients.
Please check national/regional regulations since some of these topics may be not suitable for all agencies. As well as describing the technical aspects of the project, proposals should describe their social, economic and environmental impact.
The following national or regional organisations will participate in this call:
- Agentschap voor Innovatie door Wetenschap en Technologie (IWT), Belgium (ERA-IB-2 and ERA-MBT)
- Sächsisches Staatsministerium für Wissenschaft und Kunst (SMWK), Germany (ERA-IB-2)
- Latvian Academy of Sciences, Latvia (LAS) (ERA-IB-2 and ERASynBio)
- Norges forskningsråd (RCN), Norway (ERA-IB-2, ERA-MBT and ERASynBio)
- Narodowe Centrum Badań i Rozwoju (NCBR), Poland (ERA-IB-2)
- Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia (FCT), Portugal (ERA-IB-2, ERA-MBT and ERASynBio)
- Фонд содействия развитию малых форм предприятий в научно-технической сфере (Foundation for Assistance to Small Innovative Enterprises) (FASIE), Russia (ERA-IB-2)
- Ministerio de Economia y Competitividad (MINECO), Spain (ERA-IB-2, ERA-MBT and ERASynBio)
- Türkiye Bilimsel ve Teknolojik Araştırma Kurumu (TUBITAK), Turkey (ERA-IB-2)
- Academy of Finland (AKA), Finland (ERASynBio)
- Bundesministerium für Bildung und Forschung (BMBF), Germany (ERA-IB-2 and ERASynBio)
- Kommission für Technologie und Innovation (KTI), Switzerland (ERASynBio)
- Unitatea Executiva pentru Finantarea Invatamantului Superior, a Cercetarii, Dezvoltarii si Inovarii (UEFISCDI), Romania, (also partner in ERA-IB-2)
Joint projects must have a minimum of three and maximum of eight participants from a minimum of three different ERA-IB-2, ERASynBio and/or ERA-MBT partner countries. The participation of an industrial partner in the consortium is recommended but not mandatory.
Submission of full proposals closes on 1 February 2016 (13:00 CET): https://www.submission-era-ib.eu/home. Projects are expected to start in late 2016.
Dr. Marion Karrasch-Bott
Phone: +49 2461 61-6245
For up-to-date information please subscribe to our newsletter.